Tuesday 13 June 2023

Nukporfe African Dance-Drumming Ensemble

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SqdNnaOTTOA


Today, this is a performance of the Nukporfe African Dance-Drumming Ensemble. We are basically a student African dance drumming group. We do performances on campus and in the greater Southern Tier area. We perform outside a lot. This is the first time I'm going to be performing on campus, so it's kind of big for us. We use a variety of instruments. All of the instruments are from the LA Music Tradition, which is part of Ghana . . . which is on the west coast of Africa. We use a gourd shaker, which is called a hot thing. We also use a Gonkogwe, which is the bell. It looks like a double cow bell. We have different songs that everyone sings. And, we learn each song you know, as a group and we learn from ?? and then we have the dancers . . . So, all the parts work together in a big intricate way. I love dancing. And, since I'm from Ghana, most of the dances are familiar to me, anyway . . . But at community dance we do like HR wellness and stuff like that, so . . . I kind of feel like I'm kind of giving back to the community to do what I love . . . So, it's fun . . . Like ??? be educating about the problems and issues in Africa, as we speak . . . so I think it's good. At the end of most of our performances, we perform a dance call Gotta and it's a group dance. We invite all of the members of the audience to come and dance with us . . . and it's actually really great because it gets a lot of people interested in the ensemble.


pexels-photo-6193720.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

And, then they come and ask us about it, afterwards. And, it's just a lot of fun, because they see us dancing and then they can come and participate with us, at the end. So, it's really a positive experience to get all the feedback from everyone as for the group. Definitely getting involved in the group over the past few years has been really great for me, because I've been exposed to Ghanian culture .


. which, I'm from Westchester, so for me . . it's been a really eye-opening experience. And, I've made a lot of friends through the group . . which has been really great for me. I don't hang outside when I'm outside of the group . . And, I feel a little bit closer to Ghana because of this group, which is interesting. And, I'm definitely really glad that we have this at the University, because it's a really great way to share different cultures . . amongst all the students. I think our group, as a whole, is really diverse..

learn djembe here - click

https://howtoplaythedjembedrums.com/nukporfe-african-dance-drumming-ensemble/

No comments:

Post a Comment