Tuesday 27 December 2022

Aussies Guess South African Slang

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pnz-Z5_-Tl8


- (beep) you? Get (beep)-ed. (upbeat indie rock music) - We're guessing South African slang. - Aaaah! - (laughs) - That's- you gotta be quick, y'know, sharp sharp. - Sharp sharp - Sharp sharp. - Maybe it's a hunting thing. - The word was just so good you said it twice. (upbeat indie rock music) - I think it's, like, Jo-burg slang, so if you had to, if you had to say, like, "sharp sharp", it'd be like, good, or- - Or like, almost like, not thank you, but like, if you've done something then, you're like, "sharp sharp." - If someone was like, "ah, thanks for the coffee," or something, you'd go, like, "sharp sharp." - Oh, it's tight! - Okay, yeah. - Sharp sharp! - "Mooi"! - Mu... mu-ey. Maybe moy? - Moy, moy. - Mooi, mate! - Mooi? - Mooi! - "Mooi", mate? - Isn't "mooi" mate? - Let's leave? Mooi? - Mooi. I think it's "Mum".


- What d'ya wanna do? Mooi? - I'm just gonna take a (beep) huge stab in the dark. House- am I right or am I right? (upbeat indie rock music) - This is "mooi", and it's, it's the Afrikaans word for pretty, or nice? - You'd be like, oh, "it's such a mooi day", so like, such a nice day, or, you can basically use "mooi" for anything. - Or like, "that girl is mooi", it'd be like a compliment. - It's not a very pretty word. - "Lekker"- oh, no, I've heard it too, I think it's bad, like a bad guy? - "Lekker"! - Okay! Shit! I know this one! Ooh, maybe it's an idiot.


- I think it's something to do with a guy, but I have a feeling it's like a, like a, like a dodgy guy. - "You lekker", yeah, I'm gonna say it's a bad word. (upbeat indie rock music) - This is probably the most popular South African slang, it means "good" or "fun", good fun, entertaining. - It's so versatile, you can use it for anything. - I use "lekker" in life. - I reckon it's like a fight. - Cigar? - It's gotta be a drug.


pexels-photo-4262012.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

Don't do drugs. - I think it means, like... (lisps) I wanna kif... kif that guy (both laugh) - What's "kif" mean? (upbeat indie rock music) - Something that's like, really cool. If something's, like, really cool, you'd be like, "it's so kif." - Well kif! - Island? - It kinda sounds like a swear word. Like I think if you stubbed your toe, or you like, you walked into a door, you'd be like, "jislaaik!" - I think it sounds like a drink. - Ooh! - Lady? Beautiful lady or something? (upbeat indie rock music) - So, "jislaaik" means, like, "wow", or like, almost like "wowzer", it's kind of like, quirky "wow". All of these are like, impulsive slang, so it'd be like, "aw yes, like, that was a good try," something like that. - No, I would use it in, like, a complaining way. So if someone, like, made me do something, I'd be like, - Oh, yeah, sure. - "Jislaaik, you're so annoying." - If your girl was rude to someone else, you'd be like, "jislaaik", yeah, yeah, yeah.


- (laughs) - I got that, kind of, nearly, not really! Like, if you walked into a door or you stubbed your toe, you'd express exasperation, dislike. - Ahh, "howzit"! Ahh, c'mon! - (singing together) Howzit! - "Howzit" means "wow". - Or "there you go". - Or "there you go". - "Howzit", just like, without the going, it's like- - It has to be. If it was something else, like, I give up. - Maybe, maybe the Australian one's "howzaaaat" and this one's "howzit". (upbeat indie rock music) - "Howzit" is also a greeting, you go up to your friend and be like, "howzit, bru?" Some people also take it as like, "how are you?" - Yes! Ayy! - One point! - (beep) you, get (beep)-ed. - "Voetsek." - Ooh, okay, you can say that! - I think that's like, "(beep) sake." - Vagina? - No! - Like, "what's that", like "what's going on?" "Voetsek." - "Voetsek." Yeah, what's up? - Ay, voetsek? - Would you "voetsek" with me? Does it mean sex? - I think, let's go for "what's up".


(upbeat indie rock music) - "Voetsek", that's a good one. - That's my fave. - Okay, it's like, "(beep) off"- - Basically. - It's like, more like, funny, like you'd say it to a friend, he'd be like, "ah, voetsek." - Or, like, all my friends say it "sek" instead of "voetsak". - Yeah, so it's like, T-S-E-K. It's like the slang of this- - It's literally just "(beep) off", it's a lot of fun to say. - Ah, so like, "hey Krista, like, let's go for lunch," "actually, no," (together) Voetsek! - Sounds Russian! (upbeat indie rock music) - I like our slang, yeah, it's pretty good. - It's so funny. So many different languages within the slang, so you'll be speaking English, but you'll use Afrikaans slang word. - You guys have your slang, we have ours. You probably think ours is really weird. I respect that. - But I like the "voetsek" one, because that's like, get (beep)-ed, nicely! (whooshing, squeak).

african instruments

https://howtoplaythedjembedrums.com/aussies-guess-south-african-slang/

No comments:

Post a Comment