Tuesday 31 January 2023

Beads shopping in one of Africa's Busiest Markets & why everyone loves beads

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EKfFYMs6jdM


Hi everyone! To all my subscribers and my  return viewers welcome to this lifestyle video   and at the same time the 12th episode of my fashion item of the week. Just because beads are one of my favorite items this episode is really  special. In this video I am collaborating with a Nigerian youtuber Fiath Ogechi from Fiath Ogechi Tv and an award-winning fashion designer Ciah Hlophe from South Africa to talk more about beads.


Check their channels out and stay tuned we will be back. A bead is a small piece of glass, stone or similar material that is threaded with others into a chained form or sewn onto a fabric or leather etc.. What is popping everyone! i'm Ciah and today we are going to be talking about beads. As a designer myself, I've been fortunate enough to learn a thing or two about beading. And let me tell you this, if you master the beginning and the ending which is called the closing of any bead piece that you do, anything else in between a walk in the park. Everyday, all over the world.. People wear accessories made out of beads in the forms of earrings, necklaces and bracelets. In Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal and other african countries, waist beads are a symbol of femininity, fertility, sensuality and spiritual well-being.


And speaking of necklaces i'm actually wearing one right now but this is not a fashion accessory. This is more of a cultural symbol, if I can put it like that. In my culture and my tradition when your father passes on and you are the last born, you have to wear this as a symbol. And you know like I said this is not to be used as a fashion accessory. That is why I kept it hidden under my shirt.


pexels-photo-1211992.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

Hello my name is Fiath Ogechi! So yes! I love beads! In fact growing up as a child I loved making beads. I used to make beads and sell it yes yes yes yes Infact you can't be an african.. if I let come down home to Nigeria! You can't be Nigerian and not have your.. And be dressed in your traditional outfit and not have your beads on. You would be so incomplete. So generally in Africa, beads symbolises beauty, tradition or culture strength marital statute   age, power and warrior hood. Depending on the type of bead how it is worn and by who. Now can we please discuss the versatility and importance of beads during a traditional wedding.  A typical traditional South African wedding where there is a Zulu or Hosa tribe involved. You know beads are always the showstopper for me because is it really a wedding without a glamorous neck   piece or a head that has been nicely decorated with beads? No I do not think so! When it comes to beadwork the Zulu and the Hosa people always excel. Beads are now also hitting the runway but not as head pieces necklaces or earrings but as dresses.


In 2019 Gert-Johan Coetzee put together an amazing dress for Miss Bonang Matheba and it weighed 9kg. As heavy as it was she wore it with such grace and elegance. Also in 2019 our reigning  Queen Miss Universe Zozibini Tunzi took her first walk as Miss Universe, wearing a dress made out of beads. She also gave her last walk as Miss Universe wearing a dress made out of beads. So you cannot deny the impact that beads have in fashion. One other reason I love it so much is  because it brings out the rich african culture. Infact, I can't go anywhere without wearing beads. Either is waist beads or anklets, earrings it's so beautiful and african one  of the reasons I love it so much! So yes! beads are beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! Thank you! That being said, while in Ghana for my holidays, I had the desire to go shopping for beads Agbobloshie market is 1 of Accra busiest markets where you can find almost everything to buy at  very low cost. The market was full of sellers and buyers and lots of carts and vehicles. Luckily I was accompanied by tw o elderly women who are beadists who willingly took me to where they buy their beads.


I actually found all I was looking for  and more since I returned from Ghana,   I have been working on some  beads and here they are. I hope this episode was impactful Do you have your own opinions you want to share for us all to learn? Where do you come from and how do your people use beads? Please share in the comment section below. I promise to come back next time with  another fun and fact-filled episode Thank you for watching and do not forget to subscribe and hit the notification bell   of Fiath Ogechi Tv, this channel and that of Ciah Hlophe Bye

african instruments

https://howtoplaythedjembedrums.com/beads-shopping-in-one-of-africas-busiest-markets-why-everyone-loves-beads-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment