Tuesday 24 January 2023

Witness the Mysterious World of West African Voodoo

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fs3uPShElpI


This is a Vodou ceremony. To be more specific, a chicken sacrifice that is helping this Vodou feticheur commune with the gods. And incidentally, that sacrifice also made for a pretty tasty dinner… This is the best chicken, I’ve ever had… My name is Addison O’Dea, and I’m an explorer who travelled to Togo, a tiny nation in West Africa , to learn more about the often misunderstood, practice of Vodou. Outside of this part of the world, this faith is often painted as dark, sinister, and an occult practice.


The cult of the voodoo. This dance is not be confused with a religious or ceremonial rite for voodoo has only to do with the mind. Ever in crowded cities the flame of this cult bursts forth, handed down from when human blood was spilled on the sacred drum. But in West Africa, this religion is observed by millions, and, for them, Vodou is a path to lifelong balance, health, and prosperity.


For those who practice, one of the best ways to achieve this is by working with a healer, known as a Feticheur, here at the ‘Marche des Fetches’, West Africa’s largest Vodou Market. You can buy a cornucopia of Vodou items here including animals in various states of decay, shrunken leopard heads, dried owls, powdered chameleon and even human skulls. This old market is kind of like an alternative pharmacy superstore. Its preventive: good for growing families, new businesses, and to nurture love. And, restorative: if you’re ill, cursed, stressed by work or unlucky in love, this is where you come to search for a cure. You can either buy an idol, wear a talisman or take a Vodou concoction directly into your bloodstream.


pexels-photo-618491.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

Personally, I was looking for something to protect me while I was on my travels. So my friend Patience Dako took me for a consultation with one of the market’s feticheurs. After some discussion, he told me he could make me a protective amulet, but in order to do so we needed to collect a few items from the market. Porcupine quills, dog heads, owls, blowfish, starfish - I need a whole zoo to protect me After my consultation with a feticheur, I decided to visit a Vodou temple.


I was surrounded by statues dedicated to the various Vodou gods And I witnessed ceremonies, like this one where priests invoked water spirits to enter the temple. But perhaps what struck me most was how much in common Vodou Temples have with other places of worship. Just like a church or mosque, this is a place for people to gather -- where communities are defined. A place to share stories or conduct prayers for those who need help in their day to day lives. While I am still working to demystify parts of my Vodou experiences, what I took away from my travels in Togo is that this religion is ultimately one that centers on community and how to strengthen it.


And it deserves to be recognized as a global faith.

african instruments

https://howtoplaythedjembedrums.com/witness-the-mysterious-world-of-west-african-voodoo-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment