Monday 21 November 2022

White Guy Shocks African Market by Speaking Their Language

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bScV8XNIvNg


- So recently guys, I came here to 116th street in New York city's little Senegal neighborhood. And I was like, checking out like the market. And there's really all these amazing restaurants from Senegal. And like there's a whole like West African scene here and this really incredible West African market here too as well. You can, where you can buy all these different like traditional crafts from West Africa. And it's super, super cool. So I had a really great time here and i was asking around like what language people spoke here. And turns out they spoke a language called Wolof. So I was like you know what, what if I spend a few weeks learning Wolof and then come back to this neighborhood and try to speak to people in their language. And here we are today in New York city's a little Senegal and I'm going to try to speak to people in Wolof, which is a really rare language from West Africa. And it's not rare in Senegal, but you know, it's spoken by maybe like five or 10 million people in the whole world.


And most of them live in Senegal but there's a community here in New York city in Harlem, where there are people who speak it and I'm going to go and test my Wolof on people here. I've been learning it for like a couple of weeks and I'm really, really excited to try and experience this culture in person. We're gonna go buy some stuff and go maybe order some foods in restaurants and see what happens. So nervous. But let's go. Hi. Hello. Hello? Yeah. I don't know these look really cool. I want to get some of these maybe - I have this one. All of this for men - These are for men. okay - These are for men too - Oh, those are great. - You wanna try it? - Sure. Okay. (conversing in foreign language) Wow, this is great. Okay. (seller speaking in foreign language) Okay.


Yeah. (speaking in foreign language) - Yeah okay (speaking in foreign language) Wow. These are really cool pants - this kinda attire - Yeah. Wow. This is great. How are you? How are you doing hi, how are you? - I'm fine, thank you (speaking in foreign language) - Hi, how are you? (speaking in foreign language) - What? - Wolof? Do you speak Wolof? - No no no - No .Okay - Am not from senegal - You speak Wolof? - Yeah - You've been to senegal? - No.I just learned from my Senegalese friend. - Cool - Hello? How are you? (conversing in foreign language) - oh no no no(speaking in foreign language) - You wanna marry another African wife? (conversing in foreign language) - Do you want it? - Sure yeah - Okay yes (speaking in foreign language) - which one do you want? (speaking in foreign language) - Did such a good job. That was so cool You speak so fluent I wasn't expecting you to do that good - Wow Hello. How are you? - Am fine How are you doing - Five dollar each.


pexels-photo-4262012.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&h=650&w=940

- Five dollars each. These are really cool. (conversing in foreign language) - You go to senegal? - No no I just-- (speaking in foreign language) - Thank you - Alright, thank you man, thank you. We're gonna now go for ordering in Wolof and there's a couple of really good Senegalese restaurants in this neighborhood, and I'm gonna put my ordering skills to the test with restaurants. Here we go. Okay. Hi. Hello? Hello? (speaking in foreign language) - Oh no no no (speaking in foreign language) Maybe coronavirus after Inshallah. Inshallah. Yes, exactly. (conversing in foreign language) Alright, thank you. ( speaking in foreign language) Oh, thank you. - You're trying - Yeah, I'm trying. I'm trying. I'm trying. Thank you, man. Wow. All Right. You wanna, you wanna eat some ceebu jen? Like, I just got to connect with like this culture in such a different way. Like, and it was so exciting to see people like, you know be able to communicate with people in their own language.


And it was, it was the most heartwarming experience for me. Now what we're going to do is a try their Ceebu jen, dish check this thing out. Beautiful. This is like the national dish of Senegal. Basically. It's like fish and rice and I've actually, I've actually taken quite a liking to it. I think it's really delicious. And it has some like crispy rice here. So nice. (mumbles) a sour flavor, but we've got some nice fresh fish here.


And then you have a couple of different, like spicy sauces. You have like spicy Like a spicy sour flavor. Really nice. I love it. If you would like to learn more about Wolof. Well, I don't really have any advice for you. I guess it's all, it's almost impossible. Or there's this one teacher on Italki and if you want to learn Wolof you basically have to go and learn with her. But, she's the best. Thank you so much to her on Italki . If you want to check her lessons out on Italki, you can go down to the description and click the link (mumbles) profile. Yeah. But otherwise, thanks for watching guys. And we'll see you all next time. Bye bye. (soft music).

african instruments

https://howtoplaythedjembedrums.com/white-guy-shocks-african-market-by-speaking-their-language/

No comments:

Post a Comment